OK, I know these cone flowers have gotten a lot of play. It's just a convenient and easy way to work on DOF. They are right there in front of my house and today they were covered with these little buggers. I had my 70-300mm on and that lens has a minimum focal distance of 5' so it's a real struggle to get DOF just right. Everything was shot in ISO 100 and was shooting in aperture priority. For the above pic, aperture was set at 5.6 but that was wide open at 270mm. Still got a little soft on the petals so I tried to close it down to 7.1 with a focal length of 180mm and got this:
Still not what I'd wanted. I even used my DOF preview button for that one. While I got one whole flower to be in focus, the other 2 are definitely not. I also set EV to 2/3 to compensate for the really bright lighting. The flowers were getting blown out even though I was using spot metering. DOF is going to be the death of me.
Here are a few more from this series:
You can see that while the first one is close to getting the DOF correct, the forward moth's wings aren't quite sharp and in the second one, the rear moth is completely fuzzy. I WILL master this thing!
I'm a mother of 2 girls living in NC. I've dabbled in photography on and off but really this is just for fun